How to Contest a Speeding Ticket in Washington State

How to Contest a Speeding Ticket in Washington State

Check your ticket to make sure the information is accurate. Misspelling "Toyota" is not going to get the case dismissed in Washington State. However, a wrong date or writing the wrong RCW (Revised Code of Washington) means your work is almost done. Your chances of being so lucky are almost nonexistent, but it's worth a try.

The back of the ticket shows three options.

  • To pay for your ticket by mailing a check. NOT the choice you want to pick.
  • To "mitigate" the ticket. You should always consider this option. You will have the opportunity to appear before a judge and explain your story. This will almost always be a top option as it can cut a speeding ticket in half or more, although it depends on the circumstances, the severity of the ticket, and you’re driving record. But a mitigation hearing does not allow termination in Washington State, so checking this option will ensure that the fine remains on your record.
  • To “contest “the ticket. Contesting the hearing is the only way for a speeding ticket to be dismissed entirely. Check this option, photocopy both sides of your ticket, and make sure it is mailed within 14 days of the citation. If you've waited a few days too long, send it anyway; often the delay will be ignored. Once you receive notification of your hearing date in the mail, the real work begins.

You may also like: Can speeding tickets be dismissed?

If you have any questions or need help with your Traffic Ticket, DUI, DWI, Criminal Case, Auto Accident or any other related questions, just give us a call at 425-278-9922 or email us at

Related Categories

Share with Friends

Let our team of experienced Attorneys represent you